Submission Guidelines 2022
For the 2022 prizes, the committee will consider books that fit the criteria below and have been published during the same year (January 1 – December 31, 2022). Books must be published in English; bilingual books will also be considered.
Related Book Awards
Publishers and authors whose books do not meet the Freeman Award criteria are urged to consider submission to these related awards: South Asia Book Award and Asian/Pacific American Award for Literature.
Please send a copy of the books to reviewers as soon as possible; however, the deadline for all submissions is November 30, 2022. It is the responsibility of the publisher to submit one copy of the title to each member of the relevant grade-level committee.
Categories and Types of Awards
- Children’s Literature (picture books for up to grade 5)
- Young Adult Literature – Middle School and High School (Text) and High School (Graphic) for grades 6-12
Genres: Fiction, folklore, graphic novels, poetry, selected non-fiction (no textbooks).
Subjects: Books, published in English, which have the culture and people of East or Southeast Asia as the primary focus of the story and contribute meaningfully to understanding of any of the following: China, Japan, Korea, Vietnam, Brunei, Cambodia, Indonesia, Laos, Myanmar, Malaysia, the Philippines, Singapore, and Thailand.
The books should accurately and skillfully portray the experience of individuals living in East Asia and/or Southeast Asia.
In determining the award, books will be judged for:
- Quality of story, its plot and characterization;
- Cultural authenticity;
- Potential for classroom use;
- Appeal to intended audience.
Bilingual books and translations will be considered:
- Bilingual books that include English are eligible
- Translations are eligible in the year first published in English, in the United States
Announcement of Awards
We plan to announce the Freeman Book Awards prior to the American Library Association Midwinter Meeting where both the Association for Library Service to Children (ALSC) and the Young Adult Library Services Association (YALSA) announce their awards. Publishers of winning titles will receive notification of awards in January 2023.
The Awards will be publicized through all the relevant media sites of the participating organizations and the list maintained on a permanent website.
Award seals can be ordered from the printer. Please see directions for ordering the seal HERE.
There is no entry fee for nomination. To nominate a title:
- Please complete the submission form and return to Nancy Hope.
- Please mail one review copy to each member of the relevant review committee by November 30, 2022 for titles published in 2022. Contact Nancy Hope for names and addresses of committee members.
Authors publishers, teachers and librarians are all encouraged to nominate a title for review.
For questions on the awards, please contact Nancy Hope by email only.